Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL) will invest more than Rs 9,000 crore in the coming years for creation of railway infrastructure enabling seamless transportation of coal from across MCL mines, Union Coal and Mines Minister Pralhad Joshi announced in Odisha.
- This would include modernisation of Jharsuguda railway station, doubling of Saradega-Barpali-Jharsuguda railway line, construction of double-leg flyover, besides construction of 204 km-long rail network in Talcher under two phases of construction.
- The Chairman Coal India A.K. Jha, CMD MCL B.N. Shukla were also present on the occasion along with other dignitaries.
- MCL had produced a record 144 million tonnes of coal in the last financial year 2018-19.
- It is the second biggest subsidiary of Coal India and contributes about 25% to its total coal production.
- MCL has to produce 160 million tonnes of coal out of 660 million tonnes of Coal India’s target, in present fiscal.
- After undertaking aerial survey and inspection of mining operations of Talcher Coalfields in MCL, the Minister addressed the villagers and coal miners after laying foundation stone of MCL DAV School in Talcher coalfields.
- The government of India is committed to uplift the standard of living of common man, he said.
- It is steadily working to create more jobs and entrepreneurship opportunities for the youths, he said.
- The Union Minister also announced that Mahanadi Coalfields, which has given over 16,000 permanent jobs in lieu of land since its inception, will offer employment to more than 4,000 land oustees in Odisha by the financial year 2024-25.