Mumbai: The MMRDA (Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority) has received first prototype metro car for the Mumbai Metro lines on Monday. The prototype metro car for the Mumbai Metro Line 7 and 2 is manufactured by Bharat Earth Movers Ltd (BEML), Bengaluru.
- This first coach for the Mumbai Metro lines was unloaded in the presence of Hon. Metropolitan Commissioner R.A. Rajiv, as per an MMRDA release.
- This is the precursor to the supply of 505 metro cars by BEML under the Make in India initiative, it said.
- The car started its journey from Bengaluru on the 27th of August and arrived at the MMRDA exhibition grounds on Monday.
- Thereafter, it will be housed in a specially constructed exhibition center at the MMRDA grounds, it said.
- The external facade of this center mimics a typical neo Mumbai Metro station.
- The prototype car will be unveiled in the august presence of the Hon. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, according to the release.
- BEML had received an order for Rs. 3,015 crore from MMRDA for the supply of 378 metro cars which includes 63 metro trainsets having 6 cars each for Mumbai Metro lines 2 & 7.
- Besides, additional work order for 21 trains has also been placed with BEML for the production of additional metro coaches for the Mumbai Metro line 2 and 7.
Some of the salient features of trains are:
- Fully Air Conditioned
- Driverless train compatibility
- Energy friendly with regenerative braking system.
- Train to operate on 25 KV AC traction.
- Equipped with CCTV surveillance for passenger security and real-time track monitoring.
- Carrying capacity of 300 passengers in each coach.
- Stainless steel body with 4 doors on each side.