Railways has planned to redevelop the Surat railway station as a Multi-Modal Transport Hub with world class facility under station redevelopment programme. The project has been entrusted to Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Limited (IRSDC).
- IRSDC, Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) and Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) formed an Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV), named SITCO for the implementation of the project.
- The station building will be turned into an MMTH and will include a swanky railway station, bus terminal, big ticketing hall, wide station lobby, modular passenger friendly concourse, connecting bridges, retail and offices space in the commercial towers etc.
- In addition, the MMTH will be connected with the Surat Metro, BRTS and suburban network.
- For increasing the viability of the project, the proposed commercial development Built-up Area has been increased to 8.40 lakh sq.m. from 5.07 lakh sq.m.
- Also, the commercial area at ground level has been increased to 7,84,596 sq.m. from 3,54,864 sq.m.
- The project will have 44 lifts, 19 staircases and 22 escalators for the convenience of passengers.
- The Surat railway station is one of the busiest stations on the western railway line.
- Currently, there are total 4 platforms three FOBs and one subway for station building.
Kamakhya Railway station gets ‘World-Class’ Makeover
Date: April 24, 2019
Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) has upgraded the facilities available presently at Kamakhya Railway station by adding more and more amenities for passenger. The station is being developed jointly with the Ministry of Tourism, Govt of India.
Among the facilities added are:
- 10 retiring rooms having free wifi, AC, TV etc for passengers have been constructed.
- A 10 bedded dormitory for male passenger having free wifi, AC, TV etc has been added.
- A 10 bedded dormitory for female passenger having free wifi, AC, TV etc has been added.
- A waiting hall having capacity to accommodate 120 passenger having Digital display system, mobile charging points, AC, free Wifi, separate Male / Female washrooms, Drinking water, TV and feedback system has been constructed.
- Additional seating arrangement has been provided in platforms.
- A Cafeteria has been added.
- Wall paintings by local artiste have been done to promote local culture.
- Construction of a Cloak room and renovation of water booths, toilets is under progress.
Kamakhya Railway station is becoming a very important railway station of N.E. region day by day. More and more long distance trains now originate from the station. Accordingly, the footfall has also increased by many folds.
It is to be mentioned that Kamakhya station has been made the originating station for a number of trains like Northeast Express, Kamakhya Yesvantpur Express, Kamakhya- LTT Express, Kamakhya – Anand Vihar Express, Kamakhya – Indore Express and many other mail/express & passenger trains. Passenger boarding these trains will now be able to avail these best in class amenities.
Source: Northeast Frontier Railway
To know more about recent developments of Railways: Click Here
( Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. )
Some Past Related Updates which might interest you :