Diesel Loco Modernization Works, Patiala is an important production unit of the Indian Railways, which manufactures electric locomotives as well as Diesel Electric Tower Cars (DETCs), Traction Motors and other parts. To improve the energy efficiency, many types of energy conservation measures are being adopted in the DMW Workshop and colony area in the last couple of years.
- As a result, energy efficiency is continuously improving every year.
- Recently, a state level Energy Conservation Award Competition was organized by PEDA (Punjab Energy Development Agency) Chandigarh, in which DMW Hospital is conferred with the award under the category of Commercial buildings for extra efforts made for Efficient Utilization, Management and Conservation of Energy during the last two years 2018-19 & 2019-20.
- This award was presented by the Department of New and Renewable Energy Sources, Government of Punjab in a virtual ceremony.
- DMWis also declared as Energy Efficient Unit for the third consecutive year during 22nd National Award for Excellence in Energy Management organized by CII, Hyderabad from 24th to 27th August 2021.
- Shri S.N. Dubey, Principal Chief Administrative Officer congratulated the DMW hospital and Electrical team and expressed his happiness.
- He also motivated his employees to keep this good work going in the future as well.
- Shri Dubey dedicated these awards to all the staff of DMW for their constant hard work and making their best efforts to give outstanding performance in energy conservation during the last two years despite numerous challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
About DMW, Patiala:
- DMW Patiala is a fully owned Production Unit of Indian Railways, which was setup in October 1981 as “Diesel Component Works” (DCW), to meet the ever-increasing demand of high precision maintenance spares of ALCo diesel locomotives.
- It is located at the heritage city of Patiala and is the pride of Punjab.
- With 3000+ employees, the unit sprawls over 557 acres of land along-with its integrated township.
- As the Indian Railways embarked on the path of complete electrification of all its routes, DMW discontinued the manufacturing and MLR activities of diesel locomotives and transformed itself to a new electric loco manufacturing unit.
- The first 6000HP IGBT based 3-Phase WAP7 electric loco was turned out from DMW in Feb’18 and it’s series production commenced from 2018-19.
- Similarly, DMW took up manufacturing of new 8-Wheeler Diesel Electric Tower Cars with underslung engines (DETC/US) to support the accelerated electrification of Indian Railways.
- The first DETC was turned out in Dec’18 and it’s series production commenced from 2019-20.
- In order to support maintenance activities of locomotives, DMW manufactures and supplies Motorized Bogies and Motorized Wheel Sets of both diesel and electric locos as unit exchange spares to Loco Sheds.
- DMW also has a dedicated Traction Motor Shop, which undertakes manufacturing as well as rehab of all kinds of Traction Machines used by Indian Railways on both diesel and electric locomotives.
Source: DMW, Patiala – Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR